Electric Rain Bulletin Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Electric Rain Bulletin Board » General » 3D Lounge » Blender into Swift 3D

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blender into Swift 3D
beau
Member # 2601

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beau     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to learn Swift 3D, after having worked in Blender for 3 years now. The transition is a painful one.

Currently, it's still easier to build the models in Blender and TRY to import them into Swift3D, (as DXF files) but when I try to edit them, I'm having no luck at all. The pdf manual doesn't really cover it too much.

Can anybody give me some tips?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
log2e
Member # 1184

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for log2e   Author's Homepage   Email log2e   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you be a bit more specific on what you are trying to do with your models?

--------------------
Advanced Modeler Tutorial

Posts: 335 | From: Germany | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
beau
Member # 2601

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beau     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sure.

I'm creating a helicopter game, in isometric view. See this:
www.blindslim.com/copter

I'm trying to build those models in flash instead of in blender. So, I'll export the blender dxf file of the copter, and when I try to edit it in Swift3D, the entire copter is one color and I'm unable to add/change the color of it.

I'm trying to go through the tutorials, but they're not clear enough on advanced editing... maybe I'm just not reading the right section?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
The Electrician
Administrator
Member # 8

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Electrician   Email The Electrician   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can take the helicopter into the Advanced Modeler and define Surface Groups there. Each Surface Group can have its own material applied to it. It is a very simple process of just selecting the polygons using the Face Selection tool, and then going to the Surface Group page and defining the selected polygons as a group. For more information, you can read up on Surface groups in the Help or there is a tutorial on just Surface Groups in our V4 tutorials.

Jim Foley also just put a tutorial together that covers both surface groups and smoothing groups:

http://www.erain.com/support/tutorials/v4/surfacesmoothinggroups/

So plenty of info...probably a lot more than you need since it is a fairly painless process.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Christine
ERAIN Tech Support

Posts: 733 | From: Vermont | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is not enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Electric Rain Home Page

Want to join our Forum? Click the 'Contact Us' link above and we will send you an invite.