Electric Rain Bulletin Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Electric Rain Bulletin Board » ERAIN Products » Swift 3D » Anyone using Away3D rather than Papervision

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone using Away3D rather than Papervision
happyt
Member # 4799

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for happyt   Author's Homepage   Email happyt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wondered who might have some feel for use of the output within the away3d branch and how it compares to experience with papervision3d
Posts: 1 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
jfoley
Administrator
Member # 36

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jfoley   Author's Homepage   Email jfoley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never looked into Away 3D but this article cleared a lot of the history and current state of both Away and PV3D.

http://blog.papervision3d.org/2007/05/16/papervision3d-to-merge-away3d-features/

Seems Away 3D was built on top of Papervision 3D by two guys. Some time later, the Papervision crew takes a look at the Away 3D feature sets that were added on top of Papervision and they decided to merge the code back into Papervision.

That post was made back in May of 2007. I'm not sure if any further development has been made to Away 3D since then.

If I had to guess, I'd say Papervision and Away are very much the same code base.

Posts: 444 | From: Colorado | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
prototype
Member # 856

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for prototype     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Away3d is a pretty cool engine. The last rev is 2.2 from September of this year. Sources, Demos, etc.

I think that Flash 3d engines aren't ready for primetime yet due to CPU demand. There have been some cool sites made with PV3D and Away, etc. but the optimization of the code is still developmental IMHO.

I was disappointed that Flash CS4's 3D was really 2.5D. I thought for sure they would have developed a kick-a** engine for this release. Sigh!

Posts: 1444 | From: Foot of the Rocky Mountains | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Electric Rain Home Page

Want to join our Forum? Click the 'Contact Us' link above and we will send you an invite.