Electric Rain Bulletin Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Electric Rain Bulletin Board » ERAIN Products » Swift 3D » Modeling A Toy Car

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Modeling A Toy Car
bc24fl
Member # 4764

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bc24fl   Email bc24fl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you will soon figure out I'm completely clueless in 3d modeling and have a couple of questions I hope someone can help out with.

I want to model a toy car piece by piece and put together exactly how it's put together in the real world (screw by screw). The goal is to show the user how to take apart the car step by step via 3d animation. For example, to show how to remove the wheels the steps would be.

From a fully assembled toy car:
1. Turn the car so that the car faces west (or east) and the wheels are facing south (not north or the car will be upside down).

2. Show the nuts being removed one by one on the side and the wheels being removed via animation.

3. Then turn the car so that it faces east and tires facing south. Do the same with both nuts and wheels via animation mentioned in step 2.

I guess you can call it an electronic manual showing you how to dissamble different parts of the car.

So the question is in terms of software, is Swift 3d what I need and how difficult would it be for a newbie to model a toy car with about 100-200 parts?

If the car is not in electronic form (ie: Cad 3d) what's the easiest most effective way to get it in a modeling app? Any chance of taking a picture of every part and auto importing into swift 3d??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2008  | Report this post to a Moderator
jfoley
Administrator
Member # 36

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jfoley   Author's Homepage   Email jfoley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess that, yes, this is possible with Swift 3D. Is it possible for a newb fresh out of the gates... maybe not so easily. You can model your entire car, do renders of your car being piece together from start to finish. Then take those renders and drop them into your step by step electronic manual.

As for modeling, you've got a bit of a learning curve ahead of you. You can outline various parts in illustrator and then import them in (this work only work for extrusion shapes). Other shapes you will have to model from scratch or piece them together.

If you haven't viewed all of these tutorials, view them: http://www.erain.com/support/tutorials/v5/default.asp

Once you run through that you should have an idea of how the program works. I would then jump on Swiftdev.com, take pics of your car parts, etc... post them up and get suggestions from the users on how to go about modeling that particular part (if its giving you trouble). We're quite eager, friendly and ready to help with any question you may have.

Good luck!

Posts: 444 | From: Colorado | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Electric Rain Home Page

Want to join our Forum? Click the 'Contact Us' link above and we will send you an invite.