Electric Rain Bulletin Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Electric Rain Bulletin Board » ERAIN Products » Swift 3D » Bend A Cylinder

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bend A Cylinder
jtwitkow
Member # 2957

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for jtwitkow   Email jtwitkow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know what the easiest/best way to bend a cylindrical shape would be? I need to create something cylinder shaped like a pipe or a hose and apply a smooth curve to it. Thanks in advance.
Posts: 7 | From: Buffalo NY | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
BlinkOk
Member # 983

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkOk   Email BlinkOk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think this is definitely the best way to get accurate pipes.
a) draw a line similar to your pipe shape in flash or a vector proggy
b) convert your line to a shape (YOU MUST DO THIS, SWIFT WILL NOT IMPORT SHAPES)
c) import the shape into swift
d) add a rounded bevel to the shape and walla! pipes
e) for an uber pipey shape go into the AM and make the entire shape one smoothing group
 -

[ October 02, 2008, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: BlinkOk ]

Posts: 1424 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
jtwitkow
Member # 2957

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jtwitkow   Email jtwitkow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I had already tried the trick with setting the bevel to round. But the part I was lacking was the bit about making the entire shape a single smoothing group. I'll give that a try. Thanks again.
Posts: 7 | From: Buffalo NY | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
jfoley
Administrator
Member # 36

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jfoley   Author's Homepage   Email jfoley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is another alternative.

-

Here I just used a lathe with the sweep angle cut back to give 90 and 180 degree angles. Then I used a cylinder with the same radius (measured by eye). You can use these, connect them like Legos and make a mess of piping.

[ October 13, 2008, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: jfoley ]

Posts: 444 | From: Colorado | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Electric Rain Home Page

Want to join our Forum? Click the 'Contact Us' link above and we will send you an invite.