Electric Rain Bulletin Board Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Electric Rain Bulletin Board » ERAIN Products » Swift 3D » Rounded Cube

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rounded Cube
BrentR
Member # 2395

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrentR   Author's Homepage   Email BrentR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recently upgraded to V4 and I'm looking forward to utilizing the new enhancements to V4.

For my first project I need to create a rounded cube. Like the one shown in this rendering of a Cinema 4D model.

-

I appreciate any help figuring out how to create this cube.

Posts: 2 | From: CO, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
prototype
Member # 856

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for prototype     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forum, BrentR!

Might be tough to do with triangulated polys, which Swift3D uses. But you should be able to get close. You'll need to use smoothing groups.

So how comfortable are you in the Advanced Modeler? Need a quick course? View the Swift3D Flash Tutorials.

Posts: 1444 | From: Foot of the Rocky Mountains | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
RUSHVision
Member # 227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RUSHVision     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is an example of a box I made using the technique that is outlined in more detail here.

-

Here's a .T3D that has the box in various stages of completion.

Let me know if you don't understand how it all works. [Smile]

--------------------
:: ...believe it... ::

Posts: 1705 | From: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
RUSHVision
Member # 227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RUSHVision     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...I should mention that things are going to get kind of ugly where all the holes meet on the inside if you wanted them all to pass completely through to the other side of the box. Frankly I'm not sure that I would want to try to connect all those points together manually, which is pretty much what you have to do.

--------------------

Posts: 1705 | From: Pacific Northwest | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
BrentR
Member # 2395

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrentR   Author's Homepage   Email BrentR   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually just wanted to create the rounded cube without the wholes in the sides. Is there anyway you could create it and upload the file for me to check out?
Thanks so much for your help!

Posts: 2 | From: CO, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RUSHVision
Member # 227

Member Rated:
Just to let you know, that was a pretty important piece of information that you left out. It would have been a LOT easier just to make a simple rounded cube. [Smile]

Download the .T3D from the link in my first post (just under the image) then take the cube on the far left into the AM and hit it with Subdivide>Smooth Include Border. Either that, or you can do it yourself by creating a Box primitive in the AM and smoothing it. Play around with the number of segments until you get the amount of rounding that you are looking for.

--------------------

log2e
Member # 1184

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for log2e   Author's Homepage   Email log2e   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as the smoothness of edges is concerned this tip may help:

http://www.erain.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000011

--------------------
Advanced Modeler Tutorial

Posts: 335 | From: Germany | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
The Electrician
Administrator
Member # 8

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Electrician   Email The Electrician   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mark - That link to the .t3d file in your post doesn't seem to work. I've tried a few varieties, but no luck:

http://home.comcast.net/~mudabir/erain/Box_RoundedHoles01.zip

and

http://home.comcast.net/~mudabir/erain/Box_RoundedHoles01.T3D

Thanks.
Christine

Posts: 733 | From: Vermont | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainman
Member # 1386

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rainman   Author's Homepage   Email Rainman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first link (.zip) works as far as I can tell...

--------------------
The Limit Is Your Imagination
http://www.rainman.nl

Posts: 552 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Apr 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
RUSHVision
Member # 227

Member Rated:
It might be some kind of remote file protocol comcast has in place, not sure what's going on with that. It works when I paste the top link you posted in a new browser window, though. Just for clarity, the one below is right and works, just not when I use the link from the post.

http://home.comcast.net/~mudabir/erain/Box_RoundedHoles01.zip

[EDIT]It's working correctly now. Who knows? [Smile] [/EDIT]

[ October 08, 2004, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: RUSHVision ]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Electric Rain Home Page

Want to join our Forum? Click the 'Contact Us' link above and we will send you an invite.